A recent study found that 65% of employees would choose a good boss over a pay raise if they had to choose. What most people want more of is recognition and praise. It is also true that the main reason good talented people leave a company is because of their boss … even if they like the organization.
So being a good boss is very important. How do you do that?
A short list of ways include:
- Be respectful even when people make mistakes. Let them know you care. (If you don’t care, get out of being a boss.)
- Be clear in your expectations and make sure they understand. Let them know why you want something.
- Express appreciation for their contribution, even if you think it is just doing their job.
- Know them personally and be interested in them personally. Don’t assume they know you care.
- Demonstrate high integrity in all that you do.
- Be interested and supportive of their personal development.
There are libraries full of books on how to be a good boss, but it is not that complicated if you make it a priority.