You can do the best technical work ever, but if you can’t influence others to buy it or want to see it, it’s all for naught. Use Change Masters Seven Steps to help you influence better at work or at home. Be able to answer the following questions to influence more effectively:
What do you want?
1. Be clear on precisely what you’re trying to get done and list the concrete actions you need to take to move your idea one step forward or get you to the next meeting.
2. Who needs to change?
Make sure you’ve included all the parties this change touches.
3. What’s the relevance?
What is the importance of your idea to others? Be able to simply articulate how your proposed change will positively impact their way of doing business.
4. Can you relate what you want to what they need?
Look at the world from their point of view, taking into account their rewards, motivations, and fears.
5. Who might be against the idea, and why?
Be able to articulate their concerns up front, and any “watch-outs” to consider.
6. Who are your allies on the concept?
Actively reinforce the benefits to them and be prepared to reciprocate their help.
7. How do you need to deliver the message?
What delivery style and approach works best for this individual or group?
Bonus Tip: Be persistent
Teenagers and toddlers are master persuaders, so think like they do! They know that influence is never a one-time event. They keep selling incrementally over time. Help people focus on the small gains to keep them going for the big win.
Leave a Reply