It seems easier to sign in to multiple sites with one login, such as Facebook, Google, etc. for convenience and sharing. Experian blog posts a number of security advice articles. Using a Facebook Login on multiple sites can be easier and allows sharing. It is also a potential peril in fine print or in the event your “master password” is compromised. This Experian article lists the pros and cons of using the Facebook Login.
The abbreviated version of the advice says:
- At a minimum, check the fine print and security setting for your accounts. Adjust as necessary.
- Do not use Facebook, Google and similar Login’s for multiple sites. The risk is too high.
- Have unique passwords for each account … particularly eCommerce and financial accounts.
- Use password management tools such as SaferPass, Dashline, LastPass or RoboForm to track multiple passwords for you.
- Always sign-out of your social media accounts when you are not using them.
This advice is on par with not leaving your keys in the car or leaving your front door unlocked.