Like you, I have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of “Out-of-Office” (OOO) messages that are all pretty similar. Here is one I just received:
“I will be out of the office until DATE. For urgent items, please reach out to NAME at EMAIL. Otherwise, I will respond upon my return.”
I recently saw a more creative OOO message from a client that went something like this:
Thank you for your email. As a lonely computer, I am grateful for emails like yours. Emails are the only contact I have with the outside world and they remind me that I still exist. My owner locked me in this sunless drawer until DATE.
My owner abandoned me and took his family on vacation. I saw the beautiful pictures of the sunny beach he is enjoying while I wait in this dark drawer. He’s probably sipping his tropical drinks, watching his kids splash in the water while reading one of those paper books (that don’t require me).
I tried to convince him to take me along and answer emails on the beach. He just slammed my lid closed and put me in this locked drawer. He did ask me to let you know that if you need help before he returns, you can contact NAME at EMAIL for help. Alas, that is the best I can do for now. Thanks again for letting me know I matter.
Lap Top Computer
There are a number of things I like about this message:
- It is entertaining and breaks the boredom of going through emails.
- I think of the person as more interesting and creative.
- It reminds me that I used to read paper books.
- I take a momentary vacation myself picturing sitting on the beach with a drink and a book.
- It gives me a little more courage to not answer emails on vacation.
- I was stimulated to create my own message.
I hope it encourages you to be a little more creative with your OOO messages … particularly when you are on vacation.